This post was most recently updated on July 18th, 2018
The next time you have to face the crowd, why not surprise them with funny debate topics?
After all, laughter truly is the best medicine. Especially in today’s world where employees and students are overworked and underappreciated. So, if you’re keen on brightening up somebody’s day, perhaps you can do so by selecting a funny debate topic.
Why Opt for Funny Debate Topics?
Well, the reason’s fairly straightforward: everybody enjoys a good laugh. And that’s primarily because laughter releases a ‘feel-good-chemical’ known as endorphin which pretty much works as a natural painkiller. Now, isn’t that neat?
Above all, with all that’s on in the world (mass destruction, hate crimes, terrorism – you get the idea), a fun debate topic is likely to be well received. So, what’s holding your back?
Why participate in debates in the first place?
Participating in debates is a great way to practice your oratorical skills and give yourself a confidence boost. This is also an excellent way to combat stage fright and get over your fear of performing in front of a large audience.
But, if you’re not ready to start off with a controversial persuasive speech, a fun debate is a good alternative. A funny debate will also let your personality shine in front of the audience. Who knows, it might also help you make a few new friends.
Funny Debate Topics
Can’t think of any topics you’d like to talk about? Here are a few fun ideas that the audience is sure to love:
- 15 minutes of fame or staying behind the scenes?
- American Idol vs. The X Factor
- Bon Jovi vs. The Rock for president
- Why Friends is better than How I Met Your Mother
- Going out or Netflix and chill?
- Best Star Wars character
- Does age really matter in a relationship?
- Men gossip more than women
- Why students should receive their letter from Hogwarts
- What pizza toppings are the best?
- What’s important: beauty vs. brains?
- Medicine vs. Engineering
- What do women really want in a man?
- Why Coke is better than Pepsi
- Would you rather be the hero or the sidekick?
- Is everything fair in love and war?
- Instagram famous vs. Twitter famous?
- Twilight vs. The Vampire Diaries
- Can you be best buds with your boss?
- Should humans eat to live or live to eat?
- Are school uniforms even necessary?
- Is social media just making it easier for people to stalk others?
- Rock n Roll music or Hip Hop?
- Bottled water vs. Regular water: What’s the fuss?
- Does Batman make a good male role model?
- Cats vs. Dogs
- Why fish make the ultimate pets
- Santa Clause vs. the Easter bunny
- Oatmeal cookies vs. raisin cookies
- Would you rather be a pirate or a ninja?
- Who are likely to be more successful: introverts or extroverts?
- Why homework should be abolished from the school system
- Which is better: night dreaming or daydreaming?
- Why nursery rhymes are actually quite twisted
- Does playing video games actually increase IQ levels?
- America accent vs. British accent
How to Prepare for a Funny Debate
Once you’ve covered the basics, it’s essential you decide the purpose of your debate. Are you simply trying to be funny or do you want to impart some knowledge while you’re at it too?
The aim of a strictly humorous speech would be to make the audience roar would laughter. So in this case, it may not make a difference if you neglect the importance of facts and figures.
However, if you’d also like to educate to the audience, try integrating some important ideas in your speech. In this case, we suggest you jot down the informative parts first and then try your best to integrate humor into the whole equation. This’ll all depend on what topic you wind up choosing in the end.
To make things interesting, incorporate satire or perhaps start with a parody. This is a sure-fire way to grab the attention of the audience.
We hope you enjoyed our list of funny debate topics! Have something to add, tell us about it in the comment section below.